Not too late for Windows 8Windows 8 makes it easier to switch between multi-language keyboards and custom layouts.
- Download the .zip file from here:
Save the file, then open or unzip the file.
- Click Setup.exe and follow the instructions.
It’ll tell you your keyboard was installed successfully, but you won’t be able to use it until you restart.
- Restart the machine.
Once the machine is restarted, you should be good to go.
- On Windows 8, you just have to hit WinKey + Space to switch between two or more keyboard layouts.
- To be able to view Baybayin characters on the Windows 8 On-Screen Keyboard & Touch Keyboards, the default font "Segoe UI" needed a custom update. I included the font in the .zip file.
How to install the Segoe UI font (segoeui.ttf) over the existing one in your machine:
- Create a backup of your original segoeui.ttf file by copying/moving it to another folder other than the system's "windows/font" folder.
- Left click or right click to open the segoeui.ttf file that is included in this .zip file and look for the "install font" button/link.
- Choose "Yes" if prompted to replace or overwrite the old Segoe UI font (if you left a copy in the windows/font folder).
When using Unicode Baybayin Fonts online, only the people who has a Unicode Baybayin compliant font in their machines can view what you typed/posted. And Firefox has been the only browser that displays Baybayin Unicode consistently, other browsers are buggy.
Caveat Lector: I have not fully tested this in mobile tablet PCs and Windows 7. Also, again, please make sure you backed up your machine's original segoeui.ttf file, it is a system font.
UPDATE: [Oct. 18, 2013] If you have upgraded your Windows 8 to 8.1 like I have, you have to re-install the Segoe UI font again and reboot. You now also have to chose Segoe UI as Firefox's default font (options/content/fonts & colors). In the near future, I may have to provide updated versions of Times New Roman & Arial fonts for people who like to use those default typefaces.
UPDATE: [Aug. 6, 2014] Testers report that the keyboard layout works on Windows 7.
UPDATE: [July 29, 2015] The keyboard layout works on Windows 10. Note: After updating/upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8+, you may need to re-install (re-overwrite) the Segoe UI font (segoeui.ttf) and reboot.
For Linux and older versions of Windows, visit: